Greenwich Fire Department is asking all merchants to comply with specific safety regulations
15 Havemeyer Place
Merchants of Greenwich
THE OFFICE OF THE FIRE MARSHAL ASKS THAT YOU PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS IN YOUR ESTABLISHMENTS DURING THE UPCOMING HOLIDAY SEASON. YOUR COOPERATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, AS IT WILL HELP ENSURE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON FOR ALL.
- No Cut Green decorations including Christmas Trees, Roping and Wreaths are allowed in mercantile / business establishments.
- Live Trees in balled condition with their roots protected by an earth ball are permitted provided they are in a fresh condition and are not allowed to become dry. No lights shall be permitted on live trees.
- The Use of Open Flame Devices such as candles is not permitted without proper approved flame protection and never near Holiday decorations.
- Extension Cords:
- Should be in good repair.
- No tape or loose ends. Be sure they are UL certified.
- Extension Cords serving outdoor decorations should be plugged into a properly installed GFCI receptacle and be properly rated for the required amperage. They must be UL certified and shall be in good working condition
- Extension Cords for indoor decorations should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle and be properly rated for the required amperage.
- Extension Cords are not allowed to travel through doorways.
- Maintain your required aisle widths.
- Exits and Access to Exits Must be maintained free and clear of all obstructions.
- Exit Doors SHALL be clearly identifiable and accessible
- Decorations, Dried flowers, cornstalks, and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters. Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Make sure all smoke alarms are working
Should you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact our office 203-622-3950
Deputy Fire Marshal
Greenwich Fire Department